Friday, July 14, 2006

Tactics, Tactics and Tactics

[Event "FICS rated standard game"]
[Site "FICS, San Jose, California USA"]
[White "Magicmunky"]
[Black "chestutr"]
[WhiteElo "1651"]
[BlackElo "1648"]
[TimeControl "2400+20"]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6
3. Bc4 Nf6

I dislike playing against the sicilian, so far I have a pretty poor record against it. Playing this variant tends to lead to equality, Joel Benjamin plays it so it can't be so utterly without any merit. But like I said it leads to equality no more, no less when white plays correctly.

4. d3 e6

Lopez style build up, e6 stops the bsihop eyeing f7.

5. Bb3 Nc6

Fritz believes that castling is better but I wonder whether d5 isn't going to wrestle in the iniative very clearly for black at some point.

6. O-O Be7

Pretty standard stuff so far, following several recent games I looked at

7. c3 O-O

Still in the most probable lines, waiting for a mistake. The guy I was playing teaches beginners to play chess, nice guy to chat to and has some interesting points about my game. Mainly said I needed to 'take a breath' before playing, sometimes when I feel I 'know' the variation the moves come fast without checking whether it's the right time.

8. d4 cxd4

Here's my first mistake, 8 Re1 is much better. Black wins a pawn and sticks me on the back foot (or in Cockney on my butt); Fritz - 0.53 (8 ... Nxe4 better)

9. cxd4 Nxe4

Following the same plan without the necessary Re1 is shown to be the error it is, this leaves me with a IQP. I spent a couple of minutes considering playing d5 then after exd5 Bxd5 the bishop eyes the f7 square and the knight

10. Re1 d5

The knight on e4 looks very nice, so I thought that playing Ne5 might be OK after Nxe5 dxe5 I have a pawn attacking f6 and maybe building up to a bishop sac

11. Ne5 Bb4

I stopped here and considered the mess I was in, playing Nc6 gives a pawn away. I didn't like the idea of giving up the bishop unless he did too so I played Nd2. Other options I only found after were Nxc6 attacking the queen but that strenghtens the black centre; Playing Re2 is generally the precursor for disaster in my games...

12. Nd2 Nxd4

Nd2 drops another pawn, Nxc6 was better. At this point I thought I was lost, and in all honesty that I could do no worse than try to get both knights towards the black king and see if I had a chance to play Bc2 then Bxh7+ at some point. I've been reading Larry Christiansen's Storming the Barricades when I have a few spare minutes here and there, something looked right to sac the exchange

13. Rxe4 dxe4

Fritz thought this move only dropped a half pawn if he retakes dxe4; Nxb3 is a 1.5 pawn blunder

14. Nxe4 Nxb3

Losing that bishop isn't what I had hoped but anyway taking the bishop allows an attack on the annoying bishop.

15. Qxb3 Qd5

15 ... Be7 and black maintains the nice advantage he has now accumilated. I have no centre pawns and only dream of playing Nf6+.
Ever seen a 10 pawn evaluation blunder? Qd5 is one, I saw straight away that Nf6+ winning. After a minute or two I played it having seen that 16 Nf6+ gxf6 17 Qg3+ Kh8 18 Bh6 wins easily. If Bg8 Nxf7# anything else loses to Qg7#

16. Nf6+ gxf6

16 ... Kh8 prolongs the struggle without the queen, after Bd6 the game is pretty much lost barring an error. gxf6 is a mate in 4

17. Qg3+ Kh8 18. Bh6
{Black resigns} 1-0

Which brings me to my point, black out played me in the opening and I blundered two pawns. After the rook exchange he relaxed and thought that exchanging off all the pieces and the game was won. But, in this winning position he dropped the mother of all blunders in an apparent attempt to get my queen off the board along with any chance I had to win the game.
I lost my temper with myself, sac'd the exchange and luckily my gave the game away.
Lessons learned;
1) Don't play a move before I check it twice 2) Two knights on the e file aimed at the black king is a good ploy and 3) all is not lost if you are behind a pawn (or two) never resign.
Thats what I took away from this game, that and I need to listen to music and annotate my games more, Green Day and chess go together well in my opinion.....

3 Comments:

Blogger takchess said...

Welcome to our craziness. If you are on playchess.com . I play as Takchess it would be fun to play.I expect to be on some time Saturday night after 7 pm eastern .
Jim

7:13 pm  
Blogger Dr Munky said...

UK time thats about midnight, I'll try to have a look but can't promise I'll still be awake then. The handle to look for is Magicmunky

1:28 am  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

How is it going?

12:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home